Re: gnome key binding standard

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:

> > Ctrl+X Edit/Cut
> I hate that one. x is associated with "exit" to most people, and not at all
> with cut.

I disagree with this specific point.  I like my C-x C-c and C-v for cut
copy and paste.  It works in netscape (M-x, M-c, and M-v), every single
macintosh and windows app, and the current text widget.

> > Ctrl+Z Edit/Undo
> > Ctrl+Y (?) Edit/Redo
> I think u and r are used more often for undo/redo on unix, no? it's also
> much easier to remember.

Once again, I'm very much used to C-z for undo.  I do agree that C-r is
redo.

In any case, we're never going to agree on what the right keybindings are.
We should make it user configurable.  I know that this isn't quite ready,
but it will be eventually.  If we agree that it should be user
configurable, we can add a mechanism to do this and I think everyone could
be satisfied.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this seems to me to be the right
thing to do.
   Chris