Re: Style Guide suggestion

Gleef wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

[SNIP]

> > Suggested solution (to be put in the style guide):
> >
> > * Any application that has a toolbar should provide a preference
> > dialog that has at minimum a set of radio buttons that allow the
> > toolbar to be set to `Pictures and Text', `Pictures only' or `Text
> > only'.
>
> What about letting users have a default preference.  When a program is
> first setting up their preferences, they can set it to the default, and
> then the user can change it if they want something different for a
> particular application.
>
> > (It should probably also be specified where the "Preferences..." menu
> > item goes, but I have no strong opinion on that except that the "File"
> > menu is a bad place).
>
> The trouble is there are only two menus required, File and Help.  Help is
> a worse place for it.  While I agree that File isn't great, I would rather
> see it stay in one place only, and not add a new required menu for it.
>
> Therefore I would vote that Preferences... be required to be under File.
> It's not pretty, but it would be consistant.  And besides, Preferences are
> stored in a File, so it isn't a non-sensical location.

A better idea would allow a global setting which can be overridden on
individual applications.

What we probably need is some kind of control panel applet which would
allow the configuration of these kinds of settings for all GNOME aware
applications. The latest versions of MacOS has something similar which
allows you to configure the apperance of the UI, maybe GNOME should have
something similar. ?

(At the very least it should allow the configuation of colour, font, and
Theme [when GTK becomes Theme aware] settings.)

	Aled