Re: gnome key binding standard

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Oskar Liljeblad wrote:

> My contributions to the GNOME key binding standard.
>
> I see little reason that the unix command key in X should be the Meta key
> (contrary to the Mozilla UI guide). It feels kind of awkward to hit ALT+A on
> a standard PC keyboard, and when you want to hit ALT+B you have to change
> the position of your hand.
>
> Using Ctrl as the Meta key is only a problem in tty applications. In those
> applications you usually don't have many important menu choices, and in Meta
> could be used if necessary. Some standard accelerators in Win32 are below.
>
> Ctrl+A Edit/Select All
> Ctrl+X Edit/Cut
> Ctrl+C Edit/Copy
> Ctrl+V Edit/Paste
> Ctrl+F Find
> Ctrl+Z Edit/Undo
> Ctrl+Y (?) Edit/Redo
> Ctrl+N File/New
> Ctrl+O File/Open
> Ctrl+G Edit/Go To...
> Ctrl+H (?) Edit/Replace...
> Ctrl+P File/Print
> Ctrl+S File/Save
> Ctrl+Q (?) File/Exit (from Amiga)

we could really benefit from a way to pull down a menu, such like Meta+F
could bring down the "File" menu. and yeah, i agree binding meta (not
alt, not ctrl) would be a better idea. IMO, ctrl should be up to the
application to use for its own functions.
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |