Re: Style Guide suggestion

    Maciej> Personal selfish problem:

    Maciej> Toolbars with text and pictures really annoy me, I want
    Maciej> the option to set them to pictures only (it takes up too
    Maciej> much space with the text for my liking, and I can read the
    Maciej> tooltips if it;s not obvious what the buttons do). Other
    Maciej> people probably like the text only version.

I definitely agree, and I really don't think it's a "selfish" problem:
this greatly increases the amount of wasted space on the desktop, and
is quite annoying at lower resolutions such as 800x600.

This also leads to another topic... what about something like this in
the Style Guide:

    * Any application should be perfectly functional on 800x600
      displays.

This might need some refinement, because whether an app is
"functional" at that resolution also depends on the window manager and
other things that could use screen space; but as a basic guideline it
is quite desirable to me.  KDE, MacOS and Windows all run perfectly at
800x600, and I don't see any reason why Gnome should not.

Also consider that the average screen size is still between 14" and
15" these days, and that 800x600 is the most common screen size on
laptops.  So this looks like an important thing for the success of the
whole project to me...

Another annoying thing I have noticed is that standard buttons are
needlessly big IMO.  Shouldn't this be fixed?  At 800x600 they really
look *huge*.  (Well, I have not checked Gnome during the last month or
so, so this might have been fixed in the meantime.)

    Maciej> I'll gladly do some work towards modifying the Gnome
    Maciej> programs in CVS conform if this is added to the style
    Maciej> guide and nonconformance can therefore be considered a
    Maciej> bug.

Me too.

--
Ettore