Re: The relationship between Desktop and Panel

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 06:49:30PM -0700, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
> >Any one of them can be removed.  Calm down a little and quit taking things
> >so personally.
>
> The only thing you really have to install for 98 is IE4, and in that regard
> it's as integrated as glibc is in Redhat.  Most of the things people
> *really* complain about being bundled(IIS4 <ahem>) have direct counterparts
> in Unix.
>
> Hypocrisy pisses me off, because it detracts from the science.

if one has a monopoly he should not have the comfort to drive competition
out of bussiness by using it's monopoly ...

it's not the fact that they are bundling it, it is the fact WHY they are
bundling it ... monopolies are not normal bussineses, in my opinion,
microsoft should be broken up into separate parts ... after that I
wouldn't have a problem with that bundling ... (they wouldn't do it since
the OS company wouldn't really care if people use IE4 or netscape, and the
app company couldn't use the OS to push it's products)

microsoft is not doing any science either ... what they did to every
standard makes me sick ... (take national encodings for non-english
countries .... they took ISO and switched characters around to make
it incompatible ... or take what they did to java ... even HTML) ...
leaving such a company alone is in itself hypocrisy ...

nobody in the unix world is doing this ... nobody has monopoly ...
and so we go forward ... instead of trying to create incompatibilities
"just because we can"

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: