Re: The relationship between Desktop and Panel

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, July 27, 1998 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: The relationship between Desktop and Panel

>Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> >I'm afraid that people will mistake ANYTHING that
>> >even looks remotely like it for the windoze "start" button. :(
>>
>> You know...the best thing the gnomeprint could ever do would be to
implement
>> the Start Menu concept correctly...categories, not companies, easy
>> searchability, not messy find file, autocomplete, not interface
compete...

>it won't work and I'm about to tell you why.
>

> [Motorcycle analogy]

Lets nip this flame war in the bud.

>  [If it looks like the start menu, companies will port apps with the same
start menu bugs]

I disagree.  Provided the large majority of GNOME apps do it *right*, i.e.
entered into a set of predefined categories, the first porting effort that
does it wrong will give a *wrong* amount of negative feedback to the
manufacturer of the Windows mis-port.  This will be such a traumatic and
well publicized mistake that nobody will make the same mistake again.

Hell, maybe we'll see apps default install into Windows using the Gnome
style:-)

>maybe the CONCEPT of the start menu isn't that broken (though imho it still
>is a very bad concept), but with 90% of the computer-using peoples' minds
>infested, you won't get a working implementation anywhere.

What's wrong with the concept?  As has been said here, we think according to
heirarchy, so shouldn't we load apps according to heirarchy?