Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

>one other idea would be for the menu editor to construct a user menu
>out of the system menu according to some arguments

Interesting, but wouldn't all the .desktop files in the system menu need
keyword entries? Or at least a flag marking the non-user specific ones?
Browsing my menu, all I see is the system log app, and
(when finally included) the linuxconf program. Or am I way off?

>> newly installed icons should maybe be marked in some way, so the user sees
>> there's something new there and can either look, move it if he wants it
>> somewhere else or can delete it.
>
>again ... most likely a feature that should be in the menu editor .. perhaps
>stating the files and showing their mtime

I don't think so, I think he means the panel should somehow flag new menus
when they appear in the system menu. Perhaps with an exclamation type
Icon? This shouldn't be hard, since the panel already re-reads the menu
when it changes. I see this as an option that can be disabled by the user.

And maybe the flag gets removed after the item is run once, or when it
gets run, the panel asks the user to keep the item  flagged or not.

Saving all this between sessions would be nice, but I don't know how hard
it would be since I'm not familiar with the internals of the panel.

John

--
John Ellis <johne@bellatlantic.net>
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/