Re: The relationship between Desktop and Panel

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> >I'm afraid that people will mistake ANYTHING that
> >even looks remotely like it for the windoze "start" button. :(
>
> You know...the best thing the gnomeprint could ever do would be to implement
> the Start Menu concept correctly...categories, not companies, easy
> searchability, not messy find file, autocomplete, not interface compete...

it won't work and I'm about to tell you why.

you know, a lot of things are around that never should be. motorcycles are
an example. ok, I like them very much, so this is not a personal attack,
dig?:)
however, from a safety point of view, you can bet your girlfriend that would
they be invented today, bikes would never get on the streets. but they're
there and they will stay there simply because they are.

it'll be the same thing with the start menu. if you build something that's
close it it, it will suck again. because you have two options. number one is
that you can enforce whatever structure you want on the users. I guess we
agree that this is bad. number two is that you don't. the first app that
gets ported without thought from windoze to gnome will put itself in
start->programs->dumbmanufacturer->stupidprogram. wanna bet?
and we have a couple 'thousand programs waiting to follow that example...

maybe the CONCEPT of the start menu isn't that broken (though imho it still
is a very bad concept), but with 90% of the computer-using peoples' minds
infested, you won't get a working implementation anywhere.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.