Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> >> Why is it the worst ever?  Because of the mucked up Programs menu default
> >> categorizer?
> >it's my personal opinion. I don't usually put imho's anywhere because what
> >else should I express, so this one is really a subjective view.
> We're in the business of objectifying the subjective, at least when it comes
> to UIs.  You can't just call something "the worst" without justifying it in
> psychological terms.
in my humble opinion, windoze is "the worst". you don't have to share that
opinion nor is it a matter at hand here, so let's not get sidetracked by a
simple comment, ok? :)

> >> Did users not understand the concept of app categories inside of the
> >> gnomeprint?
> >they didn't understand that it's any different from windoze. none of my
> >"victims" even got the IDEA that one could customize it. for example,
> nobody
> >even TRIED to right-click on the panel.
> And you think they would...how?

I wrote something about this in the other mail. if shown that it's possible,
the more curious of users quickly ask "hey, how can I do that?".

> As a note--notice how KDE and Gnome(w/ appropriate WM) are the interfaces
> considered to have a chance with mothers  Note that it ISN'T afterstep.
it's not? I've successfully put afterstep on several desktops of people with
ZERO unix (and in one case, zero computer) knowledge.
also, "gnome with appropriate wm" can very well mean "gnome with afterstep".
:)

> The only way to fix this is to make screenplays pervasive, and to make the
> interface as self-documenting as possible.
my "show that it's possible" could qualify as the later. the former is too
far away to be of concern to me right now. maybe once the first demo
implementation is there we can talk about using it as an introduction to
gnome, but currently it's just an idea.

not trying to put screenplays down. I'm just trying to say that my proposals
are possible NOW and I'm very willing to talk about screenplays TOMORROW.
that's the fundamental difference.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.