Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> >> it already is implemented ... I can't see why people call it the start
> >> menu though ..
> >because of the striking resemblance. as I said, I DID put a couple of
> people
> >who never saw gnome before in front of it. they INSTANTLY started to treat
> >the gnome-menu or whatever you want to call it as the gnome-incarnation of
> >the start-menu. that's why I opt so strongly to split it up and make clear
> >to the user that we are NOT copying the worst-ever (imho) interface.
>
> Why is it the worst ever?  Because of the mucked up Programs menu default
> categorizer?
it's my personal opinion. I don't usually put imho's anywhere because what
else should I express, so this one is really a subjective view.

> Did users not understand the concept of app categories inside of the
> gnomeprint?
they didn't understand that it's any different from windoze. none of my
"victims" even got the IDEA that one could customize it. for example, nobody
even TRIED to right-click on the panel.

I don't mind if in the end it shows that 62.5% of people prefer a single
menu folder. as long as they did the conscious decision to make it that way
and knew that they could have it differently. I fear that with the current
default config 62.5% of the people will not KNOW the true power.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.