Re: To answer your question about pie menus...

Dan Kaminsky writes:
 > >http://art.net/~hopkins/Don/piemenus/index.html
 >
 > One comment, though...doesn't appear wonderfully scalable past eight
 > entries(but nobody ever said +8 is a good thing) and all entries should be
 > sorted alphabetically so simple keyboard access(faster than mouse) is still
 > simple.

I can reliably select a few (I really only use a few of them) items
from http://www.crynwr.com/piewm/piewm-bigmenu.gif (anecdotal
evidence, but it is proof that big pie menus *can* work).  Overlarge
menus are slow, whether you use pie menus or linear menus (based on my
own experience, not on any testing :).

Instead of sorting alphabetically, one sorts by compass direction.
Most often used go on N, E, S, and W.  Less often go in-between the
cardinal directions.  For example, I have middle-click on root set to
pan the window on the pager.  So I do {middle-press, move up, release}
to pan up, and {middle-press, move down, release} to pan down.

--
-russ <rn-sig@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson