Re: Style Guide suggestion

On 7 Jul 1998, Preben Randhol wrote:

> * Marko Macek
> | Preben Randhol wrote:
> |
> | Do you think it's a good idea to have both:
> |  - File|Preferences for app options
> |  - File|Properties for document options (this belongs in the File menu).
>
> I think that a menu item called Properties and one called Preferences
> would be confusing. I think it is better to have _one_ Preferences
> which is a notebook-window like this:
>
>  _____________    __________
> / Application \  / Document \
> |               ---------------------|
> |                                    |
> |                                    |
> -------------------------------------|
>
> If one don't have application preferences then one just remove this
> page and of course the same applies to the document properties.
>
> It might not be preferable to use notebook style, but the main idea is
> to collect all the different setting into one window for fast and easy
> access/overview.

	I don't think this is a good idea.  In my mind, editing document
properties is a different thing than editing application properties.  I
again refer people to the menus in Word to see why I strongly suggest we
seperate things out.

	I recommend a standard application wide configuration widget.
This widget is exportable and registered with a central configuration
program.  (Programs?)  This means that you can configure all of your
local applications (and maybe some remote ones...  Ideas on how to do
this?)  all at once.

	Also, notebook tabs seem to be a very bad idea.  A tree view of
options seems more user friendly.
						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
 If you love something, write it in C; if it compiles, it is yours;
                     if it doesn't, it never was.