Re: thinking outside the box (or, stealing the _really_ good ideas)

Bowie Poag <bjp@primenet.com> wrote:
> > I strongly recommend anyone involved here to go out and look for the vast
> > amount of information on user interfaces (good and bad) available on the
> > net. also, if you happen to know professionals (screen designers and such),
> > talk to them.
>
> Coming up with a conglomerate of several different UI looks is a mistake.
> Look what happened to Win95. :) I would rather Linux and Gnome have their
> own individual personality -- Not a frankenstein mixture of other
> platforms.

that's true. I did not mean this, though. I do mean that one should look at
examples of interfaces done well or badly and read the WHY. for example,
just browsing through the "interface hall of (sh/f)ame" can give you a few
ideas about what to look out for.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.