Re: Proposal for File-Selection Dialog

> 3.) I assume that your first image would be a horizontal-scrolling pane,
> a la Windows.  If it's good enough for Windows, it's good enough for us,
> I guess.  But:

The sideways-scrolling of files sucks very badly. It's HIGHLY
counter-intuitive, and I gnash my teeth every time I'm forced to use it.
As long as you offer normal list-style views where everything goes
vertical, and remember the user's preferences, I'm okay with it.

With the filename field/combo-box. SGI did this right in their Indigo
Magic file requester. The box has a user-definable list of recently used
directories. Most applications have to setup this list manually, but
once you've done it, it's wonderfully useful. That's my single biggest
gribe with Windows - you spend 90% of your time navigating around in the
file-system, usually to places you've been to before, and most of them
within the last 5 minutes. The recently-used list makes this so much
faster.

Another thing SGI did right was their zoom-bar. It shows you little
buttons across the top of the area where it shows the path, and lets you
instantly jump to any point in the path by clicking the button of your
choice. Meaning you can jump DIRECTLY to /, or /server/images if you're
currently in /server/images/hd/progressive, without multiple clicks of
the "parent" button.

Kudos for attempting to take on the file dialog idiocy out there!

-Paul

--
Paul Miller - stele@fxtech.com