Re: Proposal for File-Selection Dialog

Ok, I've taken some valium and I think now I have gotten over my
astonishment that you used Win32 (or VB) do your initial mockup.  That's
okay, I tell myself.  It's only a prototype.  So, in my sedated state, I
now have some more thoughtful comments:

1.) THIS THING ROCKS!  It kicks arse!  It renders all other
file-selection dialog boxes obsolete!

[pops another vallium]

2.) Okay, but I don't know how intuitive that folder icon would be for a
menu.  Hmmm...is there something more "descriptive" that would indicate
that that pops up a menu of choices.

3.) I assume that your first image would be a horizontal-scrolling pane,
a la Windows.  If it's good enough for Windows, it's good enough for us,
I guess.  But:

http://www.iarchitect.com/file95.htm

this guy seems to disagree.  I dunno.  I've read through a lot of his
stuff, and I tend to think that maybe he has some sort of axe to grind
with Win95 UI
(maybe a Mac fanatic or something :-).  But his opinions on the file
dialog issue are at least choate enough to merit consideration.  So you
might want to browse this site a little bit for critiques/inspiration.

Great work overall, though.  If you need any help with a bona-fide GTK+
prototype (a REAL prototype :-), just say something and maybe I'll be
able to help out.

shane