Re: actual proposal

>  not always, federico. I know people who use an old laptop with 640x480
>  display to write their papers on, running lyx. on 640x480, window
>  decorations do make a difference, so they have a script to start X without a
>  wm and only exec lyx in "fullscreen".
>
>  I agree that that's a very small minority, though. :)

Yes, the X documentation does not say you have to run a window
manager.  "Mechanism, not policy" is their mantra.  GNOME is a lot
about policy.  We can assume that people will be running a window
manager because 1) if you do not need a window manager, it means you
are using X in a very particular and unusual way, and 2) we are aiming
at the desktop.

>  > Since the GNOME libraries already provide convenience functions to pop
>  > up such dialogs, the text in the UI Guidelines will have these things:
>
>  my unfamiliarity with the gnome libs shows. my examples weren't too far off?
>  cool thing.

Please take a look at what we have for the GUI in gnome-libs.  We have
a lot of nifty stuff in there.

>  ehm - nobody did comment on the general structure so far. does this ordering
>  into purpose/summary, reason, implementation and help for coders sound ok to
>  you?

I guess that is fine to present proposals here, but I would not like
to enforce it.  I definitely do not want to get that rigid in the UI
Guidelines document; I want to have a document that will not be
tedious or boring to read.

  Federico