Re: actual proposal

-----Original Message-----
From: Bowie Poag <bjp@primenet.com>
To: Federico Mena Quintero <federico@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 25, 1998 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: actual proposal

>Ok, then. Thanks for the info. However, I still say [ Close ] in and of
>itself is a poor choice. Such pop-ups should defefault to [ Ok ], which
>indicates acceptance (if not approval) , and execution.  Simple semantic
>differences.

Well, if you want to go semantic, "Close" should signify a piece of
information *only*, whereas "OK" should signify that an action is about to
be executed.  The opposite of OK is Cancel, not Close.  Suppose the
application is about to shut down, and the user can't do anything about it.
That should be an "OK".  Let say the application is notifying the user that
a long standing task has completed.  This would be a "Close"--since the work
and action had completed.  Of course, whether or not "close" dialogs are
useful is another story...