Re: Activate Scroll Key

Tim Moore <tmoore@tembel.org> writes:

> On 19 Aug 1998, Stephan Pfab wrote:
>

> > [about thinkpad third mouse buttom scrolling]
> >
> > This is exactly the same as the 8way scrolling with middle button
> > drag.
> >
> > I am still very much in favour of it.
> > Remember that it has to be an additional feature and
> > we can keep middle button click for paste (a X standard for a change).
> > Keep the scrollbars, add the middlebutton-drag scrolling.
>
> So mouse-2 click is paste and mouse-2 drag is scroll? These two functions
> have absolutely nothing to do with each other! Putting them on the same
> mouse button is a recipe for confusion, IMO.

Really ? But on the left mouse button clicking and dragging is ok ?
(DND versus clicking).

Click: push down, release quickly and drag little ot not at all
       action on release

Drag: push down and move noticable (say more that the size of one character)

(requiring no movement at all is impossible. humans have difficulties
moving or not moving their hand that precisely)

Second question:
  Why is shift button-2 better than button-2 drag ?
  Both actions are also on the same button.
  Actually coordinating mouse and keyboard together is difficult
  and thus only good for rarly used actions.

My argument boils down to the question whether you can clearly
differentiate click and drag.
But if you can do this with the first mouse button, why is it
so difficult with the second mouse button.
And remeber click is not push down.

Stephan