Re: Why are shooting ourselves ? We are all together on this, no?

>  question #2: Is this forum open to ideas, suggestions and proposals
>  from non-coders, like myself, and the infamous Dan?

Yes.  I think there was a misunderstanding on some of my comments; I
apologize for that.  I do want people to propose good UI ideas on this
list.

Proof-of-concept or prototype implementations of said UI proposals are
strongly encouraged -- they let people actually try them out.

General UI recommendations need nothing more than acceptance by the
members of the list to be included in the UI Guidelines.  If they
require changes to the existing GNOME applications, people are
strongly encouraged to help developers make these changes as
appropriate.

If a proposal's intent indicates that some functionality would be
useful to have in the core GNOME libraries, or or something is general
enough to be implemented as part of the core libraries, then it will
not go into the UI Guidelines until an implementation is ready.  This is
to avoid every GNOME developer write his own implementation for his
application as soon as he reads the updated UI Guidelines.

My point is that things like general UI consistency recommendations
need to be made at the application level, but some other
recommendations need to be done at the library level.  The former can
go into the UI Guidelines as soon as they are approved by the list;
the latter will only go in until there is a library to implement it.

I'm sorry for the confusion this may have caused.

>  This project is doomed. Prove me wrong, please.

Yes, we have a Gnome client for Doom :-)

  Federico