Re: Apologies to gnome-gui if I ever said you guys were flamers...

"Dan" == Dan \"Effugas\" Kaminsky <Dan> writes:

>>  The problem Dan has is he can't satisfactorily answer the
>> question, "Why should I spend time to listen to you?"

Dan> You should listen to me because I listen to users and am not a
Dan> code bigot.

This response is both unsatisfactory and insulting.  First, it
suggests that I don't listen to users.  (I do.)  Second, it implies
that I am a code bigot, a loaded term deliberately selected to
disparage.  Responses like that don't do your "respect capital" any
good at all.

Dan> Yes, and I accepted many of your points, and tried to see if
Dan> there was a valid technical way around them.  You ended up with
Dan> "a minbar server that would poll the contents of an occluded
Dan> window without changing the state of the server would be too much
Dan> work."

No, I do not believe that this is what I said.  I believe that I said
that it would either impose too much of a memory demand on the X
server, or require hacks which are highly unlikely to be either
portable or efficient.  It would also be more work than _I_ feel it is
worth, so you won't get me to write it.

Dan> At one point, I did say "this sounds like a flaw in X", and
Dan> suggested perhaps a patch to the protocol was a valid idea.
Dan> What, we're not allowed to suggest patches?

Changing X is not a viable option.  X is an industry standard.  If you
want to propose a change to X, you had better have a Damn Good Reason
for it.  Your minbar proposal, in my opinion, is not sufficiently good
reason.

Dan> By the way Scott, hate to break this to you but the first project
Dan> of mine that'll prolly be Proof-Of-Concept'd will be the minbar.
Dan> So, for somebody who says I don't care about coders...I have a
Dan> coder telling me he can do it, he wants to do it, and he's gonna
Dan> do it.

That's perfectly fine with me.  I don't mind if someone wants to do
something I think is not worth doing.  Hell, millions of people use
Windows every day.  Do you see me losing sleep over this?

Dan> Next time you think something's impossible, say it publically
Dan> instead of smugly laughing to yourself and keeping the knowledge
Dan> from me.  The minbar was announced weeks ago, hell you were at
Dan> the meeting!

And, as I've explained to you already, you don't have enough "respect
capital" for me to bother reading your proposals.  I was at that
meeting to keep an eye on Bowie; I was concerned with the injury to
GNOME's overall reputation that he was causing, as I am now with the
injury you are causing.  At the time of that meeting, your proposals
did not concern me.