Re: request to federico

>  can you, can we (the list) make clear two things that I believe are
>  necessary groundwork if we want to get work done.

Sure.  My pleasure.

>  one is the question of the scope of the document. most of us agree that
>  some of the recent issues aren't part of the scope, but how about a short,
>  simple checklist for future issues?

The GNOME User Interface Guidelines document is concerned about:

	- User interface design issues -- look & feel.

	- Standard behavior for user interface elements.

	- Information for programmers on how to actually implement the
          functionality and behaviors specified in the document.

	- General information for developers, such as how to make sure
          applications internationalize well, how to integrate
          documentation into the GNOME documentation framework, etc.

It is NOT concerned about:

	- What an ideal operating system should have in order to run GNOME.

	- Making GNOME run on non-Unixish platforms.

	- Wish lists for window managers.

>  two is the question of documents. as I understand it, we have an official
>  document in cvs now. the RSG has been discontinued because it has been
>  replaced for all intents and purposes by this official document.

Actually, quite a bit of the RSG should go into the User Interface
Guidelines as soon as I am out of packaging hell.  I am sorry for not
having put more work into the UI Guidelines yet, but I have been very
busy building packages for the GNOME release.

>  bowie's and dan's uisg is still being worked on (dan's announces on
>  freshmeat mention it, but bowie announced different?). a bit of
>  confusion here.

I do not think announcing this on Fresmeat.net or Slashdot.org is a
good idea, for reasons I already expounded to Mr. Kaminsky on a
private mail.

>  also, how are changes to the cvs version working?  you mentioned
>  patches and that a docbook version exists. where should the patches
>  be done from, the txt version, sgml or docbook?

The final patches should be taken against the sgml files on cvs.
Please note that these are the final patches that will go into the UI
Guidelines document; don't waste your time posting docbook markup on
this list when plain text will do :-)

  Federico