Re: Cluehunting: Expanding The Future

-----Original Message-----
From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico@nuclecu.unam.mx>
To: effugas@best.com <effugas@best.com>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: Cluehunting: Expanding The Future

>OK.  Your Cluehunting proposal looks to me like auto-completion
>extended to be available from more places than the usual ones (shell
>prompt and one or two text entries), as well as having a nicer
>interface to select from completions than simply iterating among them.

That, and it's ultimately expandable to do *anything*.

>Every GNOME application that uses text entry lines is supposed to use
>the GnomeEntry widget, so you could implement your Cluehuntint
>functionality in it.  Glib already has a nice GCompletion abstraction
>upon which you could build your stuff.

Should we place this type of standardization inside of the style guide, or
set up a form of "programming guide" that talks about how to implement the
styles, or...

>As for using Cluehunting in something other than text entries, you may
>want to provide a nice API to do completion in a "cluehunt-enhanced"
>way.

First design, then program.

>(Those are not regular expressions; those use simple shell globbing,
>but your point is taken)

* isn't part of regex?  Interesting point was brought up, though...this
isn't a great idea if it makes cluehunting much harder to implement.

>Please propose a programming interface and implement it as a
>proof-of-concept so that people can begin testing it.  It would be
>useful to have completion functionality in as many places as possible.

First of all, I'm not even close to done with this.  I have dozens of emails
and maybe a hundred pages to sit down and integrate into the cluehunting
proposal.  The design must be complete before it is implemented!

>For more information about this sort of stuff, I would suggest you
>read the Remembrance Agent documents in the wearable computing site at
>media.mit.edu.  There are also some ideas you could take from Emacs
>tags, abbrevs, and dynamic completion.

Yes, I've heard about this.  I need to sit down with an emacs master...