Re: Random thought...

-----Original Message-----
From: David Kågedal <davidk@lysator.liu.se>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 4:32 AM
Subject: Re: Random thought...

>Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org> writes:
>
>> the day gnome ships with a standard wm will be the day it has to do
without
>> my support. period.
>
>Well, any distribution will install a default user environment for new
>user.  As I'm not very familiar with todays distributions I don't know
>exactly what they ship, but guess that new user will get a GUI
>environment with fvwm or some other wm as their window manager.
>
>Of course they can change that if they like.
>
>In the same way, Red Hat will most likely ship a user environment with
>GNOME and a default wm.  This will be the default wm for many
>practical uses, since it is what many users will use.  So it might
>even be called a "standard" wm.  But of course any wm can still be
>used.

Problem is, the way things are done now, alot of functionality is duplicated
between WMs.  "Time to write yet another launcher database"  "Time to write
another panel interface" etc.  That's the beauty of a standard *extensible*
wm, as opposed to, as you show, just whatever happened to go by default:
It's far easier for users to try out new WMs without fear of having to redo
all their settings.