Re: Random thought...

Dan Effugas Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> >ehm - I thought a while ago we discussed the problem wiht "target
> audience"?
> >:)
>
> Yeah, but that was before I got jawdrop reactions from users when I said
> "People on the gnome list think compatibility with other interfaces is too
> stupid to argue about".  ;-)

who ever said that? I remember that a few people - me among them - argued
that compatibility to other ui isn't a holy cow and we should be guided by
our own things more than by that. but more than that? can you point me to
the mail where someone said that?

> We have an audience.  We have *users*.  Pragmatism, man.  That's *why* Linux
> is growing.  Ignore and diez!

that's exactly what we're doing. going our way, see. that's another reason
why Linux is growing. :)

> >3-button emulation isn't a problem. you just click right between them two
> >and unless  you have REALLY small fingers  and/or a really bad mouse, both
> >buttons will go down.
>
> This isn't the same as having three buttons.  Think about what would happen
> in a game if you attempt to emulate the middle button like this...won't
> work.

actually - it would. the app/game would never see the difference.

> Point is, the best you ever get is like 2.5 buttons...

true, it's not quite like having 3 buttons, but it works good.

> I don't mind this...I
> DO mind when critical functionality's best access point becomes the middle
> button.  Right click is critical, move/paste/etc. isn't.  Removing the
> scroll bars WOULD make the middle button critical, btw.

as far as I remember, nobody talked about taking away the scrollbars. can
you find the mail where somebody said that? not trying to be aggressive or
anything, but I've got the impression you're working so hard on the uisg
that you don't read all mails carefully anymore.

		-- Henry Spencer