Re: Found this one...

Kai Wetzel <k.wetzel@welfen-netz.com> wrote:
> I flagged you mail for quick response, but it seems
> it was forgotten, here is my reply, anyway...

:)

> > > My suggestion for the outline, but you'd want to concatenate I guess:
> > I've saved this and will comment on it in detail later.
>
>:-D

as you have seen, I instead incorporated most of it into the 4th draft of
the RSG. :)

> > > After that, you could mention why you value cooperation between
> > > "Linux" desktop project (such as GNOME, KDE, as well as
> > > some minor projects) so low.
> > do I? do we? I don't think so. maybe we should elaborate on that topic if
> > this is the impression that's given.
>
> Well, the discussion about moving the Quit/Exit
> command out of the "File" menu is an example.  People
> seem to have the impression of "a GNOME desktop" while
> there is a good chance people will use GNOME, KDE,
> LIP, fOX, etc. applications in parallel.

true. this is a very valid point. I've read on /. the other day that the
problem with all of kde and gnome is that perfectly functional software gets
re-re-rewritten just so that it fits into the desktop.

I'm not sure where the line between consistent user experience and waste of
time should be drawn.

> I just said, "wait a minute" are you sure you know what
> this stuff implies ?...
> Most GUI guidelines written by the Free Software
> projects are full of stuff like "must", "should",
> "if possible", "unless absolutely necessary",
> etc., while actually providing little explenation
> on the "why" behind (just my impression so far)
>
> It has been said this changed with Federico's
> new approach, however...

I hope so. we (aka a few people here who corresponded a bit in e-mail when
the flames reached to high) agreed a while ago that the "why" aspect has to
be stressed a lot more in the style guide.
I haven't done anything like that for the RSG because it deviated too much
from my usual job of collecting and arranging thoughts. I'd be more than
happy if the general topic of the list would swing a bit in that direction.

> > > suggest to put the confirmative action in the
> > > bottom right corner for Latin-script languages:
> >
> > any other votes on this?
>
> (I'm not watching closely anymore; and I didn't bother
> to point my cvs to the GNOME server, yet, it seems the
> masters beleive http is no good for this kind of thing, <sigh>)

I don't want to throw your idea out. but I'd be cool if other people would
have commented on it.

		-- Henry Spencer