Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Menu Line Standardization

JR Tipton <nails@maybe.net> wrote:
> Debugging isn't really very fun, but I would say that it should be
> suggested that applications be bug free.  We haven't had to argue about
> this one, but debugging isn't fun for the coder!  Should we say, "eh,
> don't worry about bugs: we know it's boring."

actually, debugging can be fun, and it's LOTS more rewarding then writing
docs.

I'm a coder. I know I don't like docs even if I'm required to write them.

I'm also a user. I do need docs and without the man pages, I wouldn't get
far.

maybe there's a compromise that can be reached? I see one along the
following lines (and in this order!):

a) explain why documentation is necessary and remind how much even the most
   hardcore coder relies on, e.g. the docs for the c-lib calls.

b) move to stating that a minimum amount of documentation is needed. define
   "minimum" as that amount a new user needs to use the application and hint
   that without it, he will likely never find most of the really cool
   features the coder is so proud about.

c) follow up with the conclusion that because GNOME intends to be user-
   friendly desktop, documentation is a requirement, as seen above.

maybe this way we'll be able to get the docs done. it's being excessively
nice to the coders, but after all, they are the guys who do the work.

		-- Henry Spencer