Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Menu Line Standardization

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:
> a) explain why documentation is necessary and remind how much even the most
>    hardcore coder relies on, e.g. the docs for the c-lib calls.
>
> b) move to stating that a minimum amount of documentation is needed. define
>    "minimum" as that amount a new user needs to use the application and hint
>    that without it, he will likely never find most of the really cool
>    features the coder is so proud about.
>
> c) follow up with the conclusion that because GNOME intends to be user-
>    friendly desktop, documentation is a requirement, as seen above.

I agree with this entirely.  You are absolutely correct on this one, IMHO.

> maybe this way we'll be able to get the docs done. it's being excessively
> nice to the coders, but after all, they are the guys who do the work.

It's not being excessively nice to them: being excessively nice is
catering to them.  Being considerate is explaining why your best
interests are their best interests.  Well put, Tom.

william r. tipton