Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Default Window Geometry

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Bowie Poag wrote:

> > > How is it not a gnome issue?

The way I see it, it might and it might not.  Looking at <gdk/gdk.h>, I
see two functions: gdk_screen_width() and gdk_screen_height().  My
question is, if you have a desktop size different than the screen size,
which number do this functions give?

Given that they are followed by a gdk_screen_width_mm() and
gdk_screen_height_mm(), I would suspect that they are actual physical
screen size, and have nothing to do with the Window Manager.

If that is so, it should be easy for a GNOME app, regardless of the Window
Manager, to conform to a reasonable size.  The only complication I can see
is the people with physical screens smaller than 800x600.  This seems to
be the lower limit of GNOME-useful screen sizes, both from discussions
here and on gnome-list.

How about:
app_width  = MIN( app_default_width,  MAX( gdk_screen_width(),  800) )
app_height = MIN( app_default_height, MAX( gdk_screen_height(), 600) )

> > sorry. it could well be - maybe. I just think we should first define the
> > basic concepts, the questions of how much and why we want to mess with which
> > options. there are a lot of related issues - for example one could just as
> > well ask that an application should not open up in such a way that half of
> > it is on a different virtual screen.
> >
> > but discussion about these points doesn't make much sense to me if there is
> > no background philosophy to base one's arguments on.
>
> Tom:
>
> The issue is one of compliancy, for the windowmanager, which has the most
> direct hand in enforcing this. Windowmanagers, under the UISG, are subject
> to the same restrictions enforced by the Compliancy Levels that any other
> app is -- We're working on whether or not we should enforce a line in the
> UISG which says all windows must be equal to, or less than the dimensions
> of the physically viewable area.

The way I see it, the concepts required for a GNOME-compliant application
are completely different than for a GNOME-compliant window manager.  While
it might be useful to include the current GNOME-wm compliance information
in the Style Guide, those discussions have gone on elsewhere, and I don't
see how we should have much to add.

Remember, anything that we require of window managers should be agreed on
by not only GNOME developers, but the developers of the GNOME-compliant
window managers (i.e. IceWM, Enlightenment, SCWM and BlackBox, more if
there are more).

-Gleef