Re: RGSG

Kai Wetzel <k.wetzel@welfen-netz.com> wrote:
> > > 1)  IBM research--they'll open File up first.
> > a) they're used to it
> > b) it's the left most thing. ibm research - the leftmost thing will be used
> > most often, no matter what the <beep> it's called.
>
> Hmm, will they use the leftmost thing most often,
> no matter what the <beep> it contains ?  E.g. if the
> menu formerly known as File at position 5 out
> of 7 menus, they'll use the contained functionality less
> often ?

as I understand it, they'll still OPEN it most often, no matter what's in
there. probably for a long time before they learned it.
it's just that if you search for something, you usually start left.  unless
you have some idea where it might be, off course.

> Interestingly, the German MacOS calls the mneu
> "Ablage" which means something along the lines
> of "where you put", "tray", or so :°)
or "storage", yes. might be a good word for secretaries.

hm. maybe the name of the menu shouldn't change per app, but per user
context?

> [...]
> > step down from your file-centric view. look at the app the way a
> > know-nothing user (knu?) sees it.
>
> Hmm, I don't find "file-centric view" a good term -
> There was a proposal to shift from an application-centric
> view to a document-centric view, but that's another matter.
dan is employing a file-centric view here, beating every argument from "what
it does to files" or "how it can be treated as a file" pov.

		-- Henry Spencer