Re: New GNOME User Interface Guidelines document and maintainer

-----Original Message-----
From: Federico Mena Quintero <federico@nuclecu.unam.mx>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Friday, August 07, 1998 12:06 PM
Subject: New GNOME User Interface Guidelines document and maintainer

May I ask who the new maintainer is?

May I also state that I think this is somewhat harsh--usually, before a
firing occurs, some warning is given that it is immenent.  A complaint that
things are getting too messy is different than saying that someone's about
to lose his or her job--and, even in the free software world, "bosses" are
required.

May I also ask if I am, to be blunt, out of a job?  Bowie appointed me a
co-maintainer.  As such, I've done a reasonably substantial amount of work
on next generation components, being written up at
http://www.best.com/~effugas.  (As you read this, the essays are being
written.)  I am only asking for fairness here.  While I may be vociferous in
my willingness to argue(and even *that* was stopped once I realized that the
argument would never be decided in here, rather the users would place their
votes on the issue), I don't think any(many?) would say my attacks are ever
of a personal nature, and I would presume personal attacks compose the
nature of the insanity that you refer to.

I want to be part of the GNOME project--I enjoy the thought, the work, and
the futurism.  All I've asked from you in the past was web space, so that
nobody has to remove their own home page to contribute to the project.  Now,
all I ask from you is to convert your firing to a warning.  That would seem
to be a fair course of action, considering the imminence of the guide your
actions have been predicated on not existing.  If you do not change your
mind, then I fear that any "maintainer" will not have the power needed to
guide this project where it needs to go, because any dissent would lead to
his removal as maintainer.  Even if it wouldn't lead to the removal, the
group perception of the weakness of the leader would create a "design by
committee" effect.