Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Menu Line Standardization

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Armistead wrote:

> >I would completely agree, provided their is a gnome-wide option that would
> >allow the user to toggle between the foot icon and some kind of text
> >(program, applications, whatever) - I personally prefer the foot
> >idea, but have talked to several people who far prefer all text...
>
> Nod, the gnomeprint should have the capability of being changed to either text
> or graphic and this should not be an application specific change, but instead,
> a Gnome wide change.

Its going to take alot for us to agree to change "Program" to (foot icon).

The reasoning behind this is because it breaks consistancy. It needs to be
all text, or all graphics, across the board. If you change Program to
(foot), you might as well change Edit to a pair of scissors, View to a
magifying class, Options to a question mark, Help to an exclamation mark.

Consistancy is key here, for the UISG at least.. Sure, we all agree
badging is a "good thing" .. But it doesnt justify breaking consistancy to
do so, imho. I'd be interested in hearing opinions to the contrary.

Bowie