Re: Huge Batch Reply: Lars

Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky wrote:

> The file menu is one of those things that's just INCREDIBLY consistent, I'm
> sure the Mac HCI guidelines REALLY lock down its contents.
> (Note...Kaminsky's Second Law...)  That's just it...consistent interface,
> time after time after time after time makes users SCREAM if something isn't
> done right.

so you're arguing that we should keep quit in the file menu in order to
be consistent with _other gui's_?

i won't insult your intelligence by telling you what's wrong with that
argument.

> I mean, something is up here. I told my GF about screenplays, she was like
> "that's pretty cool".  I told her about the menuprint stuff, she said "ok"
> and kinda gave me a look like "I'm no geek, stop telling me this stuff."

by your arguments, you haven't understood the basic proposal, so i can't
imagine you actually explained it to your so the way i have proposed it.

> Then I told her that people wanted to change the name and contents of file,
> and move quit.

so you told her we wanted to change:

1.) the name
2.) the contents
3.) quit

see? you completely messed up on #2. all we want to do is change 1 and
3.

until you understand this issue, dan, your girlfriend will not be used
as the guinea pig new user for this project.

> Off the top of your head... [much deleted]

off the top of our heads?

dan, are you proposing that we should keep quit in the file menu in
order to be consistent with _other gui's_?

i won't insult your intelligence by telling you what's wrong with that
argument.

> My girlfriend, my 75 year old grandmother, and every user I know will RUN IN
> FEAR away from GNOME if it f***s with file.  I can get them to sign a
> petition if you like, there's SERIOUS user anger that's triggered if you try
> to break this.

dan, are you proposing that we should keep quit in the file menu in
order to be consistent with _other gui's_?

i won't insult your intelligence by telling you what's wrong with that
argument.

we're simply not going to accept "because the other guys do it that way"
as an argument, so you might as well stop using that to defend your
case. the "other guys" and kaminsky's second law can go cry in their
beer in a poorly-lit bar somewhere for all we care.
safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin