File/Quit/Exit/Saving Application termination

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 04:27:31PM -0400, Soren Harward wrote:
> Agreed that we need to use the same one (BUT NOT WHICH ONE TO USE YET)?

Yep.

On the point of the exit/quit menu entry. Things I've seen used so far:

A menu bar entry like Quit! (in which the '!' signifies that it is directly
responding eg. no menu... (button feeling))

| <GF> File <more stuff> Quit!            Help |

Clicking the the Quit! directly starts the 'exit protocol' whatever that
should become. Maybe usable in very simple apps. It at least should be
clear that it is not a normal menu bar item.

Another option:

The File menu is just an example here it could also be document/whatever.
The idea is have more Quit-style menu entries. Like abandon -> exit app and
abandon all files, also seen as Quit all.

| <GF> File <more stuff>                  Help |
+-----+----------------------------------------+
      | ....... |
		+---------+
		| Quit    |
		| Abandon |
      +---------+

Or to put it in the <GF> Menu (program/foot/gnome menu).

| <GF>   File <more stuff>                Help |
++---------+-----------------------------------+
 | ....... |
 +---------+
 | Quit    |
 | Abandon |
 +---------+

| <GF> File <more stuff> Quit             Help |
+-----------------------+------------------+---+
                        | And save all     |
                        | And Abandon all  |
                        | And save some    |
                        | Suspend work     |
                        +------------------+

Other relevant Quiting options could be added to this menu. Quit is clearly
visible in the menu bar for the novice user. The non novice user will get
used to it soon enough. One could maybe call the Quit title Leave/Exit or
something else...

With the suspend I refer to the idea posted a little while back by Steven
Pfab what should happen if an app quits. Suspend would save the state of
the app to a temporary location.

The save some would implement Dan Kaminsky's quit idea... Quit -> box with
files that could be saved.

A quit menu like this would be consequent in it's place and logical
overall.. You could also add a sort of default action selection to it.. a
check mark behind the thing the user wants default. When one quit shortcut
is asigned to the menu.... (if you get what I mean).

A hybrid solution with one of the others is also possible....

Just a thought...

Ric

PS could ppl please change the subject lines according to the discussion
makes it easier to sift to the mail/threads. Mutt helps a lot but I like to
keep track of stuff I find interesting without having to read all. As I
said: please!?

PPS <preach mode on (skip if you don't feel like it :) ) > Why go in a
lengthy discussion about Quit in file/program menu or to have a file menu
at all... if there's maybe a good alternative :) Think alternatives...
Lateron put the alternatives against eachother and decide. <preach mode off
=) >
- Ric Klaren - ia_ric@cs.utwente.nl ------- klaren@cs.utwente.nl --------------
'And this 'rebooting' business? Give it a good kicking, do you?' 'Oh, no,
 of course, we ... that is ... well, yes, in fact,' said Ponder. 'Adrian
   goes round the back and ... er ... prods it with his foot. But in a
    technical way,' he added. --- From: Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

PGP signature