RE: Menu access (meta keys and their bindings)

> Wesley Felter wrote:
> [...]
> > There should be two different meta-keys. Ctrl is used to
> directly activate a menu item;
> > e.g. ctrl-O is File->Open. Alt is used to activate the menubar
> or its menus.
> >
> > Of course, we can't hard-code meta keys, so we need generic names.
>
> As you mention it, the two concepts have distinct names which should
> be mentioned in the style guide IMO, this will make it easier
> to know what other people are talking about without
> explaining what's meant each time:
>
> - Ctrl-O is an example for an "accelerator" key,
> - Alt-O is an example for keyboard "mnemonics".

Hmmm. They're both mnemonics, because O is short for Open in one case and Options in the other. You're right that we need stardard terminology, and I think "menu-meta" is pretty clunky, but I can't think of anything better.

Wesley Felter - wesf@cs.utexas.edu - Hack the Planet
"Division is the new world order." --Rancid