Re: UISG V2.0 Conference..

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Bowie Poag wrote:
[ Many things snipped ]

> > How does GIMP stand in direct contradiction to what I am saying.  I point
> > out problems with IRC, you give me an application?  I fail to understand
> > the argument.
> >
> > If, you are referring to the IRC meetings that I am told were part of the
> > GIMP development, all I know about them is what Bowie mentioned, which is
> > that the developers found them cruical.  I know nothing about where they
> > were held, how they were advertized, or or if they addressed the points I
> > was making, or how similar or different they were from Bowie's meeting.
> >

> Whoooooah, back up here.
>
>    Youre wrongfully attributing those quotes to me. I didnt say those
>    things. I have no idea how GIMP did their conferences.

The only thing that I attrubited to you regarding the GIMP IRC conferences
is that you said that the GIMP developers found them cruical.  To be more
accurate, what you said was something to the effect that the GIMP
developers felt that the program would not have reached the point it has
without the IRC conferences.  As I have no knowledge of this one way or
the other, I certainly have no argument with this.

If anyone understood what I said to mean that you were talking about
details of the GIMP IRC conferences, or similarities between yours and
theirs, it was not intended.  You only mentioned the one thing about
their use of IRC.  My point in mentioning you was that yours was the only
thing I have heard regarding GIMP's IRC conferences.

My response was not to the comment you made, but rather to Dan's comment
that GIMP stands in direct contradiction to the points I maid about the
hazards of IRC.  That statement is non-sensical in the literal sense (how
can an application contradict a point?).  If you read it as I believe Dan
intended, that the success of the GIMP's use of IRC stands in direct
contradiction, it is a much broader statement that begs for elaboration,
which is what I was asking for.

>    I've done ALOT of this sort of thing before (online conferences, I
>    mean) so, in my mind,I dont really need to justify to anyone whether
>    or not theyre a "good idea"... I mean, of course they are.

I was not asking you to justify the conference, I was asking Dan to
justify the point he was arguing.  I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

-Gleef