Re: New mockup of the gnome menu.

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> > Well, I just did a little informal tests in the office.  (I went
> >up to people and said:  Looking at the picture of this application, how
> >would you quit the program?)  EVERYONE said the footprint.  The president
> >of the company was a little confused by the whole thing...  But then he
> >admitted that he had trouble with the apple menu too.  :^)
>

> Interesting.  You didn't show them the screenshot with the print
> highlighted, didja?  If this is true, further testing is appropriate.
>
> I think it's worthwhile, by the way, to have both the gnomeprint and the
> file menu contain the "exit" command.  I just don't want to move most of
> File's functionality to the 'print, nor remove exit from File.
>
> By the way--did you ask everyone at the same time?  Or did one person say
> "print" and everyone else said "yeah!"
>
> Not to knock your research.  Just checkin'.

	Okay.  I've asked a number of other people.  And results were not
as encouraging.  Here's a sample conversion:

	Me: How would you quit this application?
	LR: I'd click FILE.
	< I show them the mockup with the file menu >
	Me: This is what you'd see.  Now what?
	LR: I'd click the 'X' up at the top.
	Me: Well, that would quit.  But let's ignore that.  How would you
	    quit?
	LR: I don't know.  And if the 'X' wouldn't work, I don't know what
	    I'd do.
	< I show the mockup with the tool tip >
	Me: Does that help at all?
	LR: What's GNOME?
	Me: ...I explain...
	LR: I'd think that the quit in the GNOME menu would quit all
            of GNOME.  That little door icon would make me think that
            more.
	Me: What if the quit said: Quit Electric Eyes?
	LR: That would help a lot.

	So!  Here are the NEW mockups!

	Application without any tooltips or menus
	http://www.cybersites.com/~xkahn/gnome/mockup4.gif

	Application with file menu selected
	http://www.cybersites.com/~xkahn/gnome/mockup3.gif

	Application with tooltip, but no menus
	http://www.cybersites.com/~xkahn/gnome/mockup.gif

	Application with old GNOME menu selected
	http://www.cybersites.com/~xkahn/gnome/mockup2.gif

	Application with NEW GNOME menu selected
	http://www.cybersites.com/~xkahn/gnome/mockup5.gif

	Anyway, do your own tests.  See what people say.  I'm curious now.
I really like the idea, but if people can't figure this out, and it seems
too awkward I guess it isn't a good idea.

	OH!  As a side note, netscape has tear off menus now...

						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
          Meet Linux: Forrest Gump as an operating system.