Re: New mockup of the gnome menu.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 04, 1998 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: New mockup of the gnome menu.

>Lars Torben Wilson <torben@coastnet.com> wrote:
>> I like this a lot. Testing would be nice, to see how non-advanced
>> users deal with it.
>>
>> Perhaps the Gnomeprint should react (raise, for example) when the
>> pointer moves over it?
>
>although this looks kinda cool, the interface hall of shame says it's a bad
>thing to do. I agree there. we REALLY have to experiment with new users,
who
>- I almost bet - will utterly miss that menu for a long time, especially if
>we don't rename the "File" menu.

Mac users will have no trouble adapting to the menu gnomeprint, it's very
similar to the apple menu stylistically.

Actually, the Interface Hall Of Shame says that it's a bad thing for no
particular reason except that it's redundant and doesn't really tell the
user anything.  I think we can all agree that raiseovers will tell the user,
heh, this print really is a button, you can click on it...they're other
complaint is that it's inconsistent(not MS's fault, they evolve over time)
and that it "diverts the user's attention"...well, what's it diverting it
from?  The user is obviously paying attention to wherever his or her mouse
if pointing...

Anyway, one of my first UI comments ever was to those guys, and I didn't
really get a satisfactory response, especially to the comment the button
highlighting allowed for multiword entries--very good thing to have in
alternate languages.

How the HECK does renaming the file menu into something confusing make users
want to see what's in the footprint?