Re: RSG, draft three

-----Original Message-----
From: John R Sheets <dusk@smsi-roman.com>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 03, 1998 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: RSG, draft three

>Dan Kaminsky wrote:
>>
>> So do we refuse to certify Kai Power Tools if it ever gets ported?
>> Actually, we should generate a set of exception clauses, not "we can make
>> exceptions if we feel like it".
>
>No.  What we would do is implement the GNOME styles in parallel
>to the existing ones, so that KPT would have a fully-compliant
>set of menus, etc.  And then allow the user to turn this off,
>perhaps with a "GNOME mode"/"KPT mode" option.  This should
>satisfy everyone.

Are you familiar with the KPT interface?  There's different, and then
there's KPT.

Most MP3 players wouldn't even be minimally compliant.  We need to have a
way of dealing with alternative interfaces.

>> should
>> >
>> >Left justified? Right justified? Centered? Where is it?
>>
>> Yes, we must be anal about this stuff.
>
>I don't agree.  It's enough to say that you need access to the
>About box, either by menu or by button.  I don't think we should
>mandate this right here.

No, we need to.  I can't say how annoying it is, "Oh look, here cancel comes
first, there OK comes first, there defaults are set wrong, blah blah blah"

>However, if we do put forth some _general_ guidelines on where to
>put buttons for any/all dialogs, that's a different story.  For
>example, Microsoft is having sort of an identity crisis with the
>placement of their OK/Cancel buttons.  Depending on which version
>of which development suite you use, these standard buttons are
>variously at the bottom center, at the lower right corner, and at
>the upper right corner.  Hmmmmm.
>
>I agree that we should provide some guidelines on where to put
>standard buttons.

Hear hear.