Re: RGSG - File & Edit Menus

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> It shouldn't matter to the user if the project is composed of one file or
> many.
>
> One file is a file.
> Database records are files within an organizer.
> CD Tracks are audio files encoded according to the Redbook standard.

but all this MUST be totally transparent to the user if he doesn't care!

> >Computer software is moving away from the file-centric way of viewing
> >things.  The GNOME Style Guide should not perpetuate
>
> BS.  I count this as "we're modern just because we want to sound cool"
> concepts--tell me when somebody comes up with a computer with no use for a
> file system.

you didn't understand what gleef was saying. reread. I'll highlight for you:
"moving away from the  file-centric way of VIEWING things."

it doesn't matter  how they are stored or accessed  or treated. the USER
doesn't give a damn and thus shouldn't be bothered with it. and we're doing
USER interface stuff here.

> And no, the user shoudn't care where their save file is being
> saved....locally, remotely, extraterrestrially....they just wanna save.

you got it!  he wants to save. PERIOD. he does NOT want to save file. got
the difference? save. period. save file? "well, if that's what it takes to
save, yeah, go ahead."

> Well, like I said, there are TWO file contexts that Exit fulfills:

it DOES NOT MATTER.
we're writing a style guide so the USER feels well. we don't care about how
the app or the filesystem feel. if a user selects "Exit", he wants to exit
THE PROGRAM. that's why "Exit" belongs into the "Program" context, not the
"File" context. side effects like closing open files are the app's problem,
not the user's. (plus "quit file" is simply nonsense)

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.