Re: Gnomeprint-in-app

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> Well, what are we going to put in it that'll be used alot BUT file menu
> stuff?

not much, that's true.
that doesn't mean the menu is crap. it does mean that maybe the very left is
not it's rightfull place.

> By the same token, every time you switch from afterstep to E or to
> Windowmaker or to wherever, you have to completely redo your settings.  That
> sucks too.  Wouldn't it be best to have a central repository of
> settings--application heirarchy, panel/dock/wharf apps, etc., and let window
> managers SHARE their settings so you didn't have to reconfigure everything
> the next time a killer new WM comes out?

this is a non-realizable issue far outside of the style guide.

> Anyway, I stand by my argument that GNOME really needs a complete full UI.

the second it doesn't run with ANY windowmanager outside of alpha state, I'll
leave it to die.

> Let the experts change their interface, but lets make GNOME a documentable
> piece of work--that means the newbies should be able to buy books that
> define the interface they're using.  That's not possible if we default to
> nothingness.  This is different, of course, from allowing the user on
> startup to select the keybinding they'll use(windows/mac/etc).

books on linux shell programming have ZERO trouble explaining different
shells. why should a book on the gui have trouble talking about different
wms?

dan, you should really  sit down for a while and think about what we're
doing here. you have a couple of really excellent ideas, but most of your
stuff is simply outside the scope of this project.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.