Re: Gnomeprint-in-app

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 03, 1998 12:08 AM
Subject: Re: Gnomeprint-in-app

>Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> IBM research showed that this Prog menu will be accessed THE MOST at it's
>> present location.  I really don't think that's appropriate, considering
the
>> contents inside of it @ that page you put up.
>
>propose more things for that menu, no problem. I don't think what I faked
up
>is the last word, it just went to SHOW the thing for a first time.

Well, what are we going to put in it that'll be used alot BUT file menu
stuff?

>> >second: lots of your stuff is window-manager, not gnome stuff. most
window
>> >managers already have a button that does half those things. why
duplicate?

>> We've gotta make a proposal for a COMPLETE UI.  This is critical!  Unlike
>> KDE, our environment should be completely externally controllable(what
UIs
>> will do), but we *NEED* to suggest a complete default environment.  If
other
>> WM's want to build off of it, no problem by me.
>
>I disagree. one of the reasons I  like Gnome is that I can stay with
>afterstep. I DON'T want to have the next version tell me,  my wm is
>outdated or I should really be running E.

By the same token, every time you switch from afterstep to E or to
Windowmaker or to wherever, you have to completely redo your settings.  That
sucks too.  Wouldn't it be best to have a central repository of
settings--application heirarchy, panel/dock/wharf apps, etc., and let window
managers SHARE their settings so you didn't have to reconfigure everything
the next time a killer new WM comes out?

GNOME can HELP WM's too, you know.

Anyway, I stand by my argument that GNOME really needs a complete full UI.
Let the experts change their interface, but lets make GNOME a documentable
piece of work--that means the newbies should be able to buy books that
define the interface they're using.  That's not possible if we default to
nothingness.  This is different, of course, from allowing the user on
startup to select the keybinding they'll use(windows/mac/etc).

No problem allowing one to CHANGE UIs, but they should change from
*something*.