Re: RGSG

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> Well, we can't have file->close in one menu and application->quit in
> another, if only because microsoft screwed up so much and made "close" refer
> to "close window",

pardon, but are you really saying that because M$ created a bad interface we
cannot create a good one?

> So, since we establish we can't really have both an app menu and a file
> menu, we have to pick.

no, we don't. I have not yet seen anyone on the whole list except you who
wanted to remove the file menu. nobody does. there are things you can do in
an app that work on that app, and there are things that work on the current
file.

aside from that, NOBODY in the whole discussion asked for the removal of the
file menu. don't argue against the "Program" menu by suddenly introducing
new concepts as if they'd been a natural part of the proposal from the
beginning. they aren't.

the current "Program" menu proposal asks for an ADDITIONAL menu to the left
of "File" that would take "Exit" from the file menu, but leave it alone
otherwise.
please make clear if you're referring to this proposal, or a totally
different one that wants to REPLACE the file menu. we need to know we're
talking about the same thing if talking shall make any sense.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.