Re: RGSG

Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> >ambiguity between the "file->close" command and the "application->quit"
> >command is a terrible thing to invite. i've given you my reasons why
> >file->quit is bad, can you give me reasons why application->quit is bad?
> >i'm firmly convinced we're doing the right thing by creating a new menu
> >for application-wide command choices.
>
> Well, we can't have file->close in one menu and application->quit in
> another, if only because microsoft screwed up so much and made "close" refer
> to "close window", though they were thinking the user would think ALL IE4
> windows would close if exit was selected.

Say what?  You're saying that we can't implement separate File
and Application menus in GNOME because ***Microsoft*** didn't?
Where did that one come from?  Could you give us a real reason
that refers to the interface itself, and not some other company's
specific implementation of one?

> So, since we establish we can't really have both an app menu and a file
> menu, we have to pick.

I don't think we've established anything here.  Your assertion
that we must choose between the two is flawed.  Wanna try that
one again, Tex?

> >even mac apps which aren't aimed at content creation often don't have
> >edit menus, though. imo we can do one better than require an "edit" menu
> >of an application whose only choice in that menu would be "copy." simply
> >acknowledge that not all programs require textual or graphical input and
> >help me figure out a better place to put the "copy" command to avoid the
> >edit menu with one choice.
>
> Any app with text requires cut, copy, and paste.  Any app with plain old
> graphics requires at LEAST copy(copy the clock app and it gives you either a
> graphic of the time or the time spelled out).  It's really inapprpriate to
> change the edit standard here.

Keep a standard because two categories of apps (text & graphics
manipulation) use it?  What about the other categories that don't
use it?  Should they carry an empty Edit menu?  What exactly do
you mean by the "edit standard"?

John