Re: RGSG

-----Original Message-----
From: sun <as387@yfn.ysu.edu>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>; gnome-gui-list@gnome.org
<gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 03, 1998 5:55 AM
Subject: Re: RGSG

>Dan Kaminsky wrote:
>
>> >no, you don't exit game files. you exit game applications. it's possible
>> >to close a file without closing an application, and this is an entirely
>> >separate operation and must be kept distinctly different.
>>
>> Kinda hard to keep files open after exiting the application, also kind
hard
>> to open up new files or save files or do anything.
>
>ambiguity between the "file->close" command and the "application->quit"
>command is a terrible thing to invite. i've given you my reasons why
>file->quit is bad, can you give me reasons why application->quit is bad?
>i'm firmly convinced we're doing the right thing by creating a new menu
>for application-wide command choices.

Well, we can't have file->close in one menu and application->quit in
another, if only because microsoft screwed up so much and made "close" refer
to "close window", though they were thinking the user would think ALL IE4
windows would close if exit was selected.

So, since we establish we can't really have both an app menu and a file
menu, we have to pick.  Application->Open...  does this open a new
application?  Or a new file?  Application->Save...  does this save the app's
state, or the state of a file?  Application->Import...   Does this import
another application?  Or a file inside.  Yes, I agree, application->quit
makes sense, though you're still closing all files.  But, then, most users I
see nowadays want to click the X in the corner to deal with it--in essence,
we have an application *bar* nowadays.

>even mac apps which aren't aimed at content creation often don't have
>edit menus, though. imo we can do one better than require an "edit" menu
>of an application whose only choice in that menu would be "copy." simply
>acknowledge that not all programs require textual or graphical input and
>help me figure out a better place to put the "copy" command to avoid the
>edit menu with one choice.

Any app with text requires cut, copy, and paste.  Any app with plain old
graphics requires at LEAST copy(copy the clock app and it gives you either a
graphic of the time or the time spelled out).  It's really inapprpriate to
change the edit standard here.