Re: irc summary

-----Original Message-----
From: Preben Randhol <randhol@dusken4.samfundet.ntnu.no>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 03, 1998 4:43 AM
Subject: Re: irc summary

>* "Dan Kaminsky" <effugas@best.com
>|
>| 3)  A new use for Wanda.
>
>I proposed that if Wanda was called Bable (one could swith in the
>prefs/keystroke) (after Bable fish in The Hitch hikers Guide to the
>Galaxy) it could be used to look up words in different ispell
>dictionaries etc... Like the look command..

Heh, I like that, I even slapped myself with a babel fish during that conf.

Boy, this just gave me an idea, and this is one that WOULD NEVER EVER EVER
happen in a totally freeware environment *but* would:

A)  Seriously open GNOME up to the disabled
B)  Majorly internationalize this sucker.

Altavista has it, and the products are coming out on the market...forget the
self-documenting interface, how bout a Self-Translating interface?  Click a
button, and all text on screen is run through the translation matrix to
yield your language, Braile or Hebrew or whatever.

This is beyond blue sky, of course, it's probably somewhere out by Jupiter,
but damn, that'd be real slick if the components were at least flexible
enough to allow this.