Re: The Help Menu

> > I disagree, it belongs in Help, where people know to look for it, and
> > where people will look for it.
>
> you definitely have a point there. I'd like to hack something together in
> gtk that uses a "Prog" menu and put some users in front of it, then ask them
> to look into the about box and see if they find it on the 1st, 2nd or later
> (anything later is a sure no) try.

Heh.. People expect it to be in the wrong place.. So we should perpetuate
the problem, and do it too?

> sadly, I lack the time now (with styleguide, brain-clone and two private
> projects). someone else willing to contribute a bit of field-research in
> this area?

I asked my folks on the phone tonight, what they would think if they saw a
menu on a computer screen labelled "Prog". Here's about how the
conversation went:

"Frog?" - Mom

"No.. Prog. P-r-o-g." - Me

"Oh, Prog.. I dont know." - Mom

"Prog?" - Dad

"Yeah" - Me

(silence..)

"On a computer screen?" - Dad

"Yeah. A menu option named Prog." - Me

"Sounds like that crap we have to deal with at work. Nobody can make a
damn bit of sense out of any of it." - Dad

I didnt pursue the matter even further. I've got a friend who maintains
supercomputers at the University. I'll ask him the same question tomorrow,
for his take on it.

Bowie