Re: RGSG

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Sunday, August 02, 1998 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: RGSG

>Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>
>[...edit is needed...]
>nope, it's not. there are a whole bunch of apps out there that don't give
>you anything to edit. take gv as an example. "Edit" should NOT be required,
>the most we can  do is suggest that if there's something to edit, it should
>be there and be named  "Edit". but it's surely not a required item.

what does gv do again?  brain freeze.

>> Anyway, I'm not really sure why File is all that "right thing do doish".
>> Lets see, what kind of stuff goes into file...
>>
>> New:  Make a new file
>> Open:  Open a new file
>> Close:  Close the presently open file
>> Save:  Save the present contents into a new file.
>> Print:  Print the presently open file
>> Exit:  Quit dealing with all these files and get out of here.
>this one is wrong. "Exit" does NOT deal with a file. it's  an application
>thing. replace this with "Close (document)" for apps  which can  have
>several documents open.

Sure exit has something to do with a file.  First of all, applications
themselves are executable files, and second, what happens when you exit a
program?  You close all active files it's working on.

Semantics and I get along *real* well :-)

>> Send:  Send the present file.
>> Settings:  Change the settings of this specific file(any other usage is
>> inappropriate).
>but there are also app-wide settings of two kinds. a) not related to any
>document (e.g. pics or text or both in toolbar) and b) default-document
>settings.

Toolbars are tools that modify the open file.  Default documents?  Don't you
mean default settings for new files?

There's no arguing that switching for File annoys users.  Where there's
argument is if File accurately relates to its contents...I think, at least,
that it's not SOOOO divergent that we need to change it to save users the
confusion.