Re: Proposal for First Draft of GNOME Style Guide 1.1

-----Original Message-----
From: Bowie Poag <bjp@primenet.com>
To: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Sunday, August 02, 1998 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal for First Draft of GNOME Style Guide 1.1

Yeah, Bowie, this is going to stop the War Of Misunderstands.  Ugh.
Couldn't we at least have a war about something *relevant*?  You know, like
the degree to which Gnome is gonna step on WM's toes?  "What do you mean I
have to recode my interface to suck stuff out from the gnomeprint to be
gnome compliant?"

Look, here's the scoop.  Bowie starts an IRC conference and sets the
deadline for himself to get the framework together *then*.  Tom
misunderstands and thinks that Bowie is saving his new framework for the IRC
conference, and thinks that the list (rightfully) deserves a chance to work
on it first.  Bowie *and* myself misinterpret his grumblings that the
*ACCIDENTALLY MISTIMED* IRC conference shouldn't be happening when it was to
mean that the general public really shouldn't be working on this.  Then the
two of us have alot of fun throwing Hypocracy in Tom's face, when he wasn't
really being hypocritical, just complaining about the time(I'd bitch too).
Now we're in some kind of stupid Who Can Create A More Blistering Flame
Analogy war and spending more time measuring the size of our respective
penii then working.

This is lame.  This is stupid.  This is counterproductive.  Tom, do your
shit, it's fuckin' nice, it's very productive, I like it, Bowie likes it,
the world is happy and good.  Bowie, I know you think you're right, and from
your perspective YOU ARE, but someone came in here saying you weren't doing
any work and the fact was you were still in your formative stages and thus
*hadn't done that much design work* and instead of saying "I'm not hiding
anything from you, I'm still studying the stuff going on in gnome-gui and
playing around with various alternative designs, i.e. research before
beginning, here's some stuff I'm looking at", you flamed the putz without
waiting to see if people agreed with him first.

*THAT BEING SAID*, Bowie and I are partners in this(along with Bill, I've
been named a comaintainer meaning I'm of equal power to Your Favorite
Interface Nazi), and he did an incredible job yesterday and indeed over the
past few days organizing and handling the Gnome UI conference.  His
questionnaire asked things I wouldn't have dreamed of asking and was
extremely valuable for this group to ponder.  In fact, I wouldn't mind if
EVERYONE here went over to http://www.primenet.com/~bjp and took the
Conference #1 questionnaire, it was really quite well thought out and it'd
be interesting to see how the mailing list compares to a snapshot of the
general public.  I really can't even begin to say how much *more* valuable
such a well thought out questionnaire turned out to be than if Bowie had
attempted to match the progress of Tom in some form of stupid aforementioned
penii measurement contest.  The previous shouldn't be read as a flame to
Bowie--naw, it's more of a ribbing to anybody who already thought "Hum, I
don't see much of that skeleton filled in, Bowie's a lazy bastard even if he
did finish the conference during his 38th hour awake."

Now that my frustrations are all out regarding this...lets hear some
comparison's re: Bowie's framework v. Tom's; whichever framework we all
agree on should be adopted by BOTH parties--I really don't see any reason
this shouldn't happen.

By the way, I nominate "Level Two" compliance to replace "C2" compliance,
because once a Linux system gets C2 or higher WITH A NETWORK CARD certified,
we'll see some serious good press go to Linux and I don't want to see Gnome
stuff get in the way.

Quick note--we need some standard terminologies.  Anybody willing to
volunteer and write a glossary of terms?  I.e. scrollbars, scrollballs, pie
menus, liquid filesystems, minimize, maximize, iconify, panel, scroll up,
scroll down, etc.

You'll notice I originally was referring to the panel as the toolbar.  :-)