Re: Proposal for First Draft of GNOME Style Guide 1.1

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> >The point is that IRC is too much a medium of geocentricity.  I *might*
> >be attending (I think it's 9am Monday in Australia), but many of the
> >more constructive posters on this list live outside the convenient
> >timezones.  As someone pointed out earlier, "no matter what, it's gonna
> >be 3am somewhere", and I don't think *anyone* on this list should be
> >left-out of a forum where major topics will be discussed simply because
> >they were unfortunate enough to be born outside the good ol' US of A. :)
>

> The GIMP developers have said in no uncertain terms that GIMP wouldn't be
> where it was today without IRC discussions.  Mailing lists aren't THAT
> quick, ya know.

No, but mailing lists don't require syncronizing schedules.  The time for
the IRC conference seems to have been picked out of a hat.  At no point
was the question raised, "I am thinking of an IRC conference, when works
for people?"  After it was clear that many people here could not make it,
there was no discussion of changing the time.  Just, sorry that's the way
it is, live with it.  I strongly doubt the GIMP developers were that
cavalier with their IRC conferences.

Also, nobody has seen anything to discuss in IRC.  What, are we all going
to have to sit through DCC SENDS of pieces of the style guide just to talk
about it?

The mailing list is an ideal place for this, a place which Bowie is not
making use of.

> Anyway, people shouldn't have to subscribe to gnome-gui to provide feedback
> to the project.  I mean, the VAST MAJORITY(I hope) of users of GNOME
> *aren't* part of this group.  It's in the IRC conferences that we get to
> show off our present state to our testing public and find out if we're ALL
> way off base.
>
> Geocentric?  Try listcentric :-)

Listcentric is not a problem.  The people who want to contribute to GNOME
will go to the GNOME site.  If they want to be involved in gnome
devlopment, they go to the mailing list page, they see a line referring to
GUI development.  Those who want to work on GUI devlopment (such as the
Style Guide), will go there.  That's why I came here.  That's the point,
this is the list of people who want to work on the GNOME style guide.

Puting public forum on IRC makes it open to people who don't care all that
much, but are bored at the time.  Advertising it as widely as it has been
ensures that anyone who wants to make our lives dificult will be there.
This mailing list will not allow non-subscribers to post.  This enforces
accountability, which the Undernet does not.

I still say that this list is an appropriate place for discussing the
details of the Style Guide.  I also still say that IRC is not an
appropriate place.  If enough people really want it to be on IRC, much
more attention needs to be paid to scheduling, pre-dawn monday morning is
a decidedly bad time to hold a meeting.

-Gleef