Re: Style Guide

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Andrew Clausen wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I have an idea that will prevent splinter efforts, etc.  I think, *for
> now*, the style guide should contain all of the options that seem
> feasible.  As the guide develops, I think it will become obvious which
> is the better option further down the track.

Bingo, Andrew. :) You've got the right idea. So long as we're all going to
be exploring the same issue, the Style Guide should be formed larger than
what we really envision the final product to be -- Fill in the gaps, and
subsequently trim the fat when its time for the bigtime revision process.

Learned a cute expression a few years ago while watching this woodworking
TV show on PBS, called "Woodworking with Roy Underhill".. The guy builds
furniture completely out of manual tools -- No power drills, no band saws,
nothing. His reccomendation is pretty much the same, when it came to
chiseling a piece of wood down to size.  "Its alot easier to take wood off
a board, than it is to put it back on." :)

> Perhaps an "options list" would be a better name for the moment.  What
> I think needs to happen is all of the arguments and ideas need to be in
> one place before a decision is made.  For example - that Gnome logo on
> the menu bar:  in future, we may find that the only thing that ever ends
> up there is the "about" option.  If that's the case, its a stupid idea.
> On the other hand, other things might end up in there (eg:  auto-load on
> startup, or something).  I think time needs to be given to different
> options to see how they develop.

Absolutely. This is what the Conference will be for. :)

> Andrew Clausen

Bowie